This fast and easy to make coleslaw has a new twist on a traditional taste with the addition of fresh cilantro and lime. One try and it quickly became our household’s favorite coleslaw! Besides being a tasty side dish, it is wonderful on barbecued pulled pork sandwiches and fish tacos!
I am often left wondering what to do with perfectly good cabbage after I’ve used all the large, green outer leaves for another recipe like stuffed cabbage. The inner leaf’s color is often a lighter, pale green but they are so sweet and tender that I often use it for coleslaw as a side dish. My mother had two versions of coleslaw recipes- oil and vinegar or mayonnaise so I was determined to mix it up a bit with the tang of lime and the scent of cilantro.
- 1 medium head of cabbage, about 2 pounds
- 1 handful of chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
- 1 large (or 2 small) limes
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper
First we shred the cabbage in the food processor. I usually shred it to the size of rice or a little larger but you can also slice it into thin strips, if preferred. Put it into a large mixing bowl.
Next, we rinse a handful of fresh cilantro, trim off the ends of the stems, and chop the cilantro. I prefer chopping up the stem part of the cilantro as well because it adds a nice crunch. Add the chopped cilantro to the mixing bowl.
After rinsing off the limes, use a zester or microplane on only the green parts of the limes and add it to the mixing bowl. The underlying white layer is bitter so make sure you don’t zest the limes too deeply.
Next, squeeze the juice from the limes over the shredded cabbage, making sure no seeds go into the salad. You can accomplish this by squeezing the lime into a cupped hand, allowing the juice to drip thru your fingers while the seeds are trapped in your hand or by squeezing the lime into a bowl and fishing out the seeds. Add the vegetable oil, garlic powder and sugar to the mixing bowl. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
Print This Recipe
- 1 medium cabbage, about 2 pounds
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1 large or 2 small limes
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- First we shred the cabbage in the food processor to rice size. You can also slice the cabbage into very thin strips. Put the cabbage into a large mixing bowl.
- Next, we rinse the cilantro and trim off the ends of the stems. Chop the cilantro leaves and stems and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Zest or microplane the limes and add to the mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the cabbage.
- Add the vegetable oil, sugar, garlic powder to the cabbage mixture and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate the coleslaw for hour or so before serving for best flavor.